Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Caucuses

Last Friday, I spent the evening listening to 6th graders at Jefferson County Court House, the Taj Mahal, as some call it. The students had researched various parts of the constitution and gave two minute talks on what they found in that special document. I really enjoyed the experience and I actually got a plug in for everyone to attend their precinct caucus. 'While I don't find the word, 'caucus' in the Constitution, I encourage everyone to attend their neighborhood caucus meetings this year,” I said.

It is at the caucus where people registered with a party meet to elect delegates who will select who runs for governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general and all Colorado House members and half of our Senators.

I asked the crowd of youngsters what night is caucus night? I told them if any one youngster can answer I would give him or her a dollar. I could tell by the expressions on their faces that this was an unfair question because tonight we were only talking about the US Constitution, not what a caucus was. One student answered correctly "March 16." "Correct," I shouted, you can remember because it is the day before St. Patrick's Day. Caucus meetings are usually held at local schools. Perhaps their school will host some.

I told the students to pick a caucus and attend even if they are not old enough to vote yet. Senator Ron Stewart of Boulder County, perhaps the youngest Democratic chair ever, ran the Longmont Office when he was just 14 years old. Senator Stewart always was precocious.. That's how he got his start, so age is no barrier to being involved in civic life. "Precinct caucus attendees will be delighted to see you," I told the 6th graders. I encouraged them to get involved in campaigns as well. Campaigns need volunteers of all ages to help out. .

So call you party's headquarters and find out where your caucus is this March 16. You’re your friends, bring the family and bring the youngsters, they might actually learn something.

No comments: