Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Trust

The other day in the elevator at the Webb Building at 201 West Colfax two city workers got in the up elevator with me. It was clear to me that one of the employees was a recent hire. My humility was fortified as it was also clear that neither of my fellow city workers knew that I was Denver’s Auditor. The older and wiser worker, perhaps a supervisor, made clear her department’s attitude toward the Auditor’s Office.

“And remember whatever you do, never talk to anyone from the Auditor’s Office,” the new hire was informed. The words were delivered in an indignant tone. “What the Auditor’s office doesn’t know won’t then come back to bite us” was the attitude and tone of the comment.

I introduced myself to them as they got out on their floor. I gave them my card and told them they could trust me with any information they wished to share.

The path to the mountain top of trust is a long and arduous path for some of our employees and indeed the people themselves. I assure you I am doing everything I can to change that negative attitude toward trust. I believe it was Lao Tzu the ancient Chinese philosopher who said, “Without the trust of the people, the government can do nothing.”

No comments: